An attempt to remember the things (big and small) that matter most

I remember vividly driving over a bridge in Charleston in college: the wind swirling in around me from my open window, the smell of the marsh, the sun setting on my old red Ford station wagon "Eugena", sticky from dried sunscreen mixed with sand and sweat, and Natalie Merchant blaring "These are days to remember.." I thought, "These are the days I have lived for". It was sheer bliss.
Now, fast forward some years. I am a wife. I am a mother of 3. I live in Tennessee, via Alabama. So much has happened! So many sweet moments have passed through the years...but I really can't remember a lot of them. I gave up scrap booking with my dating relationships. I only journal when I'm sad (please remember this if I die and you find them..) or it moments of resolution. I take millions of pictures for my online album but rarely print them. And all the special "keepsakes" of my married life with children are thrown into rubbermaid containers (they are, at least, labeled). My only record of the funny things my kids say and do, insights discovered, or how the Lord has "connected the dots" in life, is found on my Facebook status. That. Is. Pathetic.
And thus, here is my record. A lame attempt (I am not a good writer, witty nor wise) to record the adventures found in the chaos of life. My goal is not so much that it be worth reading (especially by those who don't know me) but rather that it be remembered by a mom blessed by much, and still can't remember the grocery list to take to the store.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Let the transitions begin...

Yes, I am a little weepy...
Let the transitions begin!

I always joke that as women, our lives are nothing but small intervals of living in the middle of transitions. The biggest crisis times in my life have been all related to if not caused by transition. Thanks to going to a therapist, being a therapist, and walking with the One who is directing it all, I'm starting to almost embrace them as adventure as opposed to dread the changes that come. This does NOT mean that I smile and jump up and down when I see them approaching.  I usually cry with each milestone reached by my kids, spend extra time on my knees with big decisions, and hold my breath during "long term planning meetings" with my husband...and now I'm doing a little bit of all three.
As of tomorrow, K (2)will be going to pre-school, AG (5) will go off to kindergarten, I'm going to homeschool A (7) for second grade (?!), and my husband heads back to his old job. Some of this has been anticipated. K needs to go to school- his 2 year old self needs some socialization and constructive adventures as opposed to painting his body with petroleum 
jelly, re-inacting tornados in the playroom, and escaping outside in only his diaper.  He is at such a fun age when everything he says and does is funny- and he's still super cute- and knows it.  AG is in a class with all her dearest buddies with the same teacher her sister had. She'll LOVE having new people to talk to (I'm guessing it will only take a week for her bus to be moved for excessive talking in class), and can't wait to read and write like her sister.  I'll miss her laugh, and maybe even some of her constant pining for attention...and I'm bracing for the "emotional explosions" that will be compounded from a long day as school.  And as for A- never thought I'd homeschool, but I am.  I'm excited about the time with her and forging into unknown territories of education with a second grader.  As of this minute, I am still swimming in the options of curriculum- a funny place for a person with commitment issues to be. AND tomorrow, my man will be officially transitioning back from being the "IP" (interm) pastor to the "TP" (Transitional/special butterfly) pastor on the road across the street to being "Youth and Families" pastor once more. 
The traditional shot
So, tomorrow it begins at 5:30am. My cup of coffee with Jesus, making lunch with Robin of CNN's Headline News, a special breakfast (TBA) and the race to get everyone ready, smiling, and posed by the front door for the traditional "first day of school" picture. 

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things"- Robert Brault

7 comments:

  1. I laughed at your comment about only journaling when you're sad. I removed my blog, because I realized I usually only blog when I'm depressed, meaning that to those who follow my blog, I am one of the most sad and depressed individuals around. If only I could write in my "manic" stages as well, it would balance it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you are blogging about it all! I'm way too unfiltered to ever have a blog, but love that you do! Let me know how the curriculum works out. Now we can really meet in ATl one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! So what made you decide to homeschool? When we talked over the summer you seemed so happy with the school . . . and I can talk curriculum with you if you want. Wow does it take a lot of time to plan it all out. Smart you for starting with just one - I am starting with a 4th and 2nd grader! yikes! Love the quote you put at the end. Brings tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. best thing i've read on the internet all day!love love love!
    t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my subliminal twin sister. We've done it again. Haig is going to 1st grade @ the public Montessori school, Eli will do preschool & we are going to homeschool McCall! We are doing Connections Academy a public online homeschool curriculum. I can't wait to compare notes & stories:) I will be praying for you!! We start on Monday! Love you girl! We need our yearly phone conference SOON!!

    ReplyDelete