An attempt to remember the things (big and small) that matter most

I remember vividly driving over a bridge in Charleston in college: the wind swirling in around me from my open window, the smell of the marsh, the sun setting on my old red Ford station wagon "Eugena", sticky from dried sunscreen mixed with sand and sweat, and Natalie Merchant blaring "These are days to remember.." I thought, "These are the days I have lived for". It was sheer bliss.
Now, fast forward some years. I am a wife. I am a mother of 3. I live in Tennessee, via Alabama. So much has happened! So many sweet moments have passed through the years...but I really can't remember a lot of them. I gave up scrap booking with my dating relationships. I only journal when I'm sad (please remember this if I die and you find them..) or it moments of resolution. I take millions of pictures for my online album but rarely print them. And all the special "keepsakes" of my married life with children are thrown into rubbermaid containers (they are, at least, labeled). My only record of the funny things my kids say and do, insights discovered, or how the Lord has "connected the dots" in life, is found on my Facebook status. That. Is. Pathetic.
And thus, here is my record. A lame attempt (I am not a good writer, witty nor wise) to record the adventures found in the chaos of life. My goal is not so much that it be worth reading (especially by those who don't know me) but rather that it be remembered by a mom blessed by much, and still can't remember the grocery list to take to the store.

Monday, August 9, 2010

The day of lots of words

Let the talking begin...
the day of lots of words 

It was a good day of firsts. Everyone woke up happy and smiling. I dawned my signature color, black (sorry Stacy and Clinton), and we had special "chocolate chip waffles WITH whipped cream from a can" for breakfast. The morning drop off to kindergarten's first day went smoothly. K's visit to his pre-school classroom was as expected. And A's completed 4 pages of review work with sentences and capitalization and read an entire book. We went visit to the home school curriculum store that is closed on Monday, picked up a few things at Publix and had a visit with a dear friend in the dairy isle, the library for books, and got home in time to read with A, clean the floor, have a piano lesson, cooked dinner for family and friend, get the kids to bed and remember that there is NOTHING on TV to watch on Mondays. And thus, I hold true and fast to my mantra, which I will also most likely have inscribed on my tombstone (hopefully in addition to scripture), "I got a lot done". Perhaps the most surprising occurrence of the day was K’s sudden ability to speak in sentences. Seriously, before today, we were hearing 2-3 words at a time tops. Usually some interpretation is needed by myself or one of the sisters. But something happened last night while he was sleeping for this morning new communication had evolved.
Here are some of the highlights:
"I go in daddy's bye bye wit you" - I want to go with you in daddy's car
"I no want a toot-ie, tink two bo" - I don't want a cookie but thanks though (!)
"I no more chikn nugs, I want nack" - I don't want to eat my growing food, give me the junk
AND my FAVORITE, which MADE THE DAY WORTH WHILE
A's said "I love you K" and HE SAID " I LUB YOU TOO A'S"!!!!!! My heart melted and I thought to myself "There is hope!"
All of his words were not so appreciated, especially when shared in song.  Loudly at the top of his lungs, for 10 minutes (seemingly an eternity in the silent surroundings), he sang "daddy's on da bas day read, read, read, read, read, read" over and over and over in the LIBRARY!!! Yes, cute, even clever (since we were surrounded by books), but I have never seen so many "reprimanding" looks in one short span on time. 
Not to be overdone with the gift of talking, AG danced in the door after school and dramatically grabbed me by both hands, led me to the couch and said, " MOM, you MUST sit down.  I need to tell you all about my day!  IT was fantastic!" And with all the enthusiasm of a girl home from her first date, she described all the "most wonderful" events of the day. Colored a self portrait (NOT mixed media, just crayon- she said), sang some songs, went on a BEAR HUNT AND ate TEDDY GRAHAMS, went to PE AND she choose to take her nap RIGHT by the door in case there really was a bear and it came back.  She really wanted to see it. Honestly, looking back on the time from then until bed, I don't think she really ever stopped talking.  And there was only one tantrum although there was a good bit of emotional frustration a few times.  
A's and I had a good time with "school" the highlights being reading aloud and together, and discussing various "facts" about things...some she made up, some she learned from the science channel. SHE talked non-stop in the car getting Keller to "say this" or commenting on all she was seeing out the window. (Please remember back to the movie "Forget Paris" when the grandfather is riding in the car, reading EVERY sign- pretty close comparison.) She was also proud to show me that she already KNEW some of what we were learning. But just for the record, I STILL have not actually purchased curriculum.  You would think I was buying a house with all the stress, worry, research and avoidance invested in this decision. Somewhere in the back of my head is a quote from Tim Keller in Counterfeit Gods that addresses that. But I think I will ignore that today too. Just call me Scarlet O'Hara- proof that I have a long way to go in sanctification.  SO, all in all, not a bad day. A pretty basic example of what the rest of the days ahead will hold.  And somehow, I managed to write an awful lot about not much. Imagine that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment