An attempt to remember the things (big and small) that matter most

I remember vividly driving over a bridge in Charleston in college: the wind swirling in around me from my open window, the smell of the marsh, the sun setting on my old red Ford station wagon "Eugena", sticky from dried sunscreen mixed with sand and sweat, and Natalie Merchant blaring "These are days to remember.." I thought, "These are the days I have lived for". It was sheer bliss.
Now, fast forward some years. I am a wife. I am a mother of 3. I live in Tennessee, via Alabama. So much has happened! So many sweet moments have passed through the years...but I really can't remember a lot of them. I gave up scrap booking with my dating relationships. I only journal when I'm sad (please remember this if I die and you find them..) or it moments of resolution. I take millions of pictures for my online album but rarely print them. And all the special "keepsakes" of my married life with children are thrown into rubbermaid containers (they are, at least, labeled). My only record of the funny things my kids say and do, insights discovered, or how the Lord has "connected the dots" in life, is found on my Facebook status. That. Is. Pathetic.
And thus, here is my record. A lame attempt (I am not a good writer, witty nor wise) to record the adventures found in the chaos of life. My goal is not so much that it be worth reading (especially by those who don't know me) but rather that it be remembered by a mom blessed by much, and still can't remember the grocery list to take to the store.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Cross my heart and a few more things not to forget

One of the things that we’re working on in our house is telling the truth..it’s apparently a big struggle for some of us under our roof.  Whether it’s about who hit whom, if the room is clean or the mess just hidden, if the teeth have really been brushed (a easy one to test) or just being sneaky, it’s a battle here. And even if you take the Christ-like view out of it, telling the truth is still a pillar of character in the world of ethics (which I will choose to believe still exists out there). I asked one friend, how to deal with the untruths that occur throughout the day.  She told me not to give them the option to lie if it’s not necessary.  It’s shouldn’t be “did you hit your sister?” when I know for a fact (thanks to the large whelp across her arm) that she DID, rather, “why did you hit your sister”….which of course, leads into a much longer needed teachable moment that I continually, lazily, avoid or gloss over in my own overflow of emotion. IN one of these moments when I DID take the time to process through this (this time over saying things were completed when they weren’t) I said “telling the truth is not something you DO, it’s something that you ARE”.  I was momentarily impressed with myself as it sounded somewhat profound- which is rare for me.  AND I’m sure I read it somewhere and just can’t recall where- as I have a few, if any, original thoughts…but later in the day it hit me, how true it is, not just for 7 year olds that are building the foundations of who they will become, but also for mom’s that are still trying to stabilize the building that’s built on that foundation. AND believe it or not, I actually had some time to THINK and REFLECT about that. My man went off to hang with a friend for some back porch time (much needed) and it was just me, my current book I’m reading, my “incomplete thoughts” journal and the Great Listener/Motivator. I flashed back to this morning when I was listening to Buster Brown talk about Jude.  One illustration was regarding what people would say about you when you passed, in your obituary. Then I fast forwarded through my day (it’s not nearly as interesting at normal speed) and I realized how many inconsistencies I have in how I function throughout my day….connecting dots….a few snapshots of quick tempter, moments of pine-sol obsession (yes, I cleaned today), some self-righteous/martyr moments, impatient “JUST DO IT- NOW!!!!!” explosions, and a few redeemable moments and I am about as consistent as the weather. Which brings me to the LAST dot in the picture for me.  If I am to BE the example for the principles I am teaching, I fall short LOTS.  Now, I’m not bashing myself.  I am an OK mom, etc.  But I am not who I am to be- or even close to where I’d like to be.  I was reminded once more that it is not my words and teaching moments of wisdom and understanding (that are few) that make impressions on my kids, but rather my actions. I am reminded that my “deeds” are filthy rags, and that I should  “take every thought captive”….And at the heart of it all I really DO want to be what I need to be for Him, for His kingdom, and for my kids.  AND just about when I’m about to sigh with sad frustration, I remember that I too, am a work in progress. I may not hide all my clean clothes under my bed (for my pendulum has swung in the other extreme) or stomp my feet and throw myself like a rag doll in a fit of rage across the room (although I may be doing that on the inside).  I am a work in progress. And when I forget this or choose to ignore it, THEN I’m in trouble. Truth, Hope, Grace, Love.   That’s mostly what it’s all about in the end.  Seriously, I’m telling the truth. I promise.

A few quotes etc..

Getting ready to run some errands, I tell A all I need to do is go put on some make-up and we can leave.  She says “It’s OK mom, you already look beautiful as you are. I mean, moms are supposed to have wrinkles and look a LITTLE tired, so it’s ok. You look good.”

AG coming in the door from school “ Watch out everyone!  AG is IN THE HOUSE!!!!”

AG to her 5 year old crush (who was wearing a long star wars t shirt, 3 strings of Mardi Gras beads, and a kool-aide mustache)  “You are SUCH a MAN!”…in an empathetic, dreamy voice.

“There’s a boy at soccer who’s a bully.  His name is Seven- but he’s eight.   And Seven told Betty she was a cheater”.- AG

From our friend Kim (regarding Nutcracker Auditions) “When I came in this afternoon I asked her (A) how auditions went.  She said great and she loved it and went on to tell me the different parts she would like.  She asked me to come watch and when I said 'of course' she was happy with that answer.  She said she would smile at the people that came to see her....cause they would be there for HER.  She made sure to tell me it wouldn't be a 'mona lisa' smile though and showed me what a 'mona Lisa' smile looks like.

“What kinds of things did you have to do for the auditions?” I asked A.  “Kicks, leaps, arabesques, and ‘Sausage rolls”…Not quite remembering that step from my short ballet career, I had to ask A’s friend for clairification “ – Chasse (Cha-sa).  Apparently A heard an extra G, and was hungry enough to add the roll?

K’s main sentence of the past few days, “No mama. NO!” (whine, whine…time out)
“I hide-ee” (I’m hiding”)  “I hold you”, “YOU sit mama, wit me.”  “I NO GO nite-nite”
“daddy, we go Jon Ru house"




Cookie for Cookie Tuesday: Heath Bar Chip
Book: Still reading "Jim and Casper Go to Church"- HIGHLY recommend it so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment