An attempt to remember the things (big and small) that matter most

I remember vividly driving over a bridge in Charleston in college: the wind swirling in around me from my open window, the smell of the marsh, the sun setting on my old red Ford station wagon "Eugena", sticky from dried sunscreen mixed with sand and sweat, and Natalie Merchant blaring "These are days to remember.." I thought, "These are the days I have lived for". It was sheer bliss.
Now, fast forward some years. I am a wife. I am a mother of 3. I live in Tennessee, via Alabama. So much has happened! So many sweet moments have passed through the years...but I really can't remember a lot of them. I gave up scrap booking with my dating relationships. I only journal when I'm sad (please remember this if I die and you find them..) or it moments of resolution. I take millions of pictures for my online album but rarely print them. And all the special "keepsakes" of my married life with children are thrown into rubbermaid containers (they are, at least, labeled). My only record of the funny things my kids say and do, insights discovered, or how the Lord has "connected the dots" in life, is found on my Facebook status. That. Is. Pathetic.
And thus, here is my record. A lame attempt (I am not a good writer, witty nor wise) to record the adventures found in the chaos of life. My goal is not so much that it be worth reading (especially by those who don't know me) but rather that it be remembered by a mom blessed by much, and still can't remember the grocery list to take to the store.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blessings in Travel

          As I drove to school this morning, clutching my full cup off coffee as we went over speed bumps, listening to the backseat conversation about tattoo distribution (fake tattoos), I was struck once again with how very blessed I am.  The past month has been amazing. SO MUCH to be thankful for- and it isn’t even Thanksgiving yet! I can hear my mom singing in the back of my head- her sweet, yet monotone voice “Count your blessings, name them one by one”. OK, honestly she sang that to us when we were NOT being thankful but rather complaining, but this morning it was the opposite. I am now aware of how important it is to recognize/ acknowledging the good things/times in life as it helps you get through the bumpy times. (I have heard this frequently mentioned in relation to toddlers vs. teenagers.  It’s the early days of them being cute, sweet and funny that will help you trudge through the more challenging years of teenager-dom.) SO I started thinking about the many events, people, and travels of this past month and started taking inventory.  Of course, when I realized that were things I shouldn’t forget- and that I hadn’t blogged in awhile- I decided to come home, ignore 2nd grade school work, and type it out. This has potential to be lengthy for sure! AND I’m sure there will be things I forget even to type!
The kids with "GG"
 The park with Grandma and Papa
At the beginning of the month for fall break, I loaded up the kids and my friend Karen, and we drove to Chicago for my grandma’s 90th birthday and a visit with family. (My man left to CO for a mancation/study leave). I was so thankful for the outlet malls in southern Illinois, as A grew so much this summer she left home with one pair of pants and two long sleeved shirts that fit! We aren’t mall shoppers, and the stores here were definitely lacking in selection and “Leggett prices”, so being able to do a one-stop-shopping experience was great. We were able to head to the “cooler” (it ended up getting warm while we were there) midwest with clothes to wear. We were able to have a great visit with family (ALL of them) at the party and over the few days we were there, visited the Field Museum, an old mill, and the American Girl doll store (the GIRLS were more thankful there). The kids traveled well in the car, the driving was easy, and time with family- immediate and extended was fun.  The cousins were able to be together and we had time with my parents.  There were a few bumps that we worked through (wet beds, clogged toilets and the “we only have 45 minutes left in the car so let’s start fighting) but it was terrific. I flat out LOVE traveling with my kids. Highlights:  Keller watched the entire 3D Sue the Dinosaur movie wearing glasses, and exclaiming “He NOT eat me” when we saw the Robo-dino exhibit. A read all the info about the different things we were looking at, and was excited when she saw things related to what we were studying at school. AG totally conflicted trying to pick an outfit for herself and her American Girl doll and wanting to talk (at length) to anyone who would listen.  I really loved being with all my extended family at my Grandma’s party.  Everyone was happy, interacting, eating, playing….we just don’t get to experience that very often since we’re so far away- so it’s precious.
Some of the Festivus gang
            Next we drove to St. Louis- complete with a final trip to Culvers (Hurray for Butter Burgers and cheese curds) to visit Justin and Emily, Mike and Judy, and Bill – and Janet (surprise bonus!) We all stayed at Justin and Emily’s, which was fun. And even though they had classes and work schedules, we were able to see everyone and have some quality family time.  We went to the zoo (rode the train) and visited the Art Museum. The weather was crystal clear and the perfect temperature. The animals were out- at least the ones we wanted to see. The art museum was JUST big enough to hold the kids attention and for A’s to see a REAL Van Gogh (she just painted her own version of Starry Night) and Renoir, Degas…and more mummies! We also found a fun cupcake shop on the way home and stopped at Trader Joe’s and picked my man up some of his favorite cookies! We went home for a “festivus” dinner (with just part of the family) and stayed up late visiting. Ahh, what a day. The highlight was seeing the kids genuinely excited about what they were seeing/experiencing. Such delight! The next day we went to the Arch of St. Louis and we had dinner at AN AMAZING pizza place with Mike and Judy, took a nighttime tour of “The Loop” and their new place and talked into the night.
A with VanGogh
We came home, did laundry, and then my man and I headed to upstate SC for a conference planning meeting: 5 couples, all in ministry, planning for the Crieff conference, processing life and ministry (a group therapy session), and time to relax. We had many people step in to help with the kids at home, so I didn’t have to worry about them. (THAT is THE BIGGEST BLESSING OF ALL TIME!)  It was a beautiful place. The weather was again amazing, and I was able to sleep in until 7!!  I also witnessed a miracle. My man fixed everyone breakfast- omelets and grits. I had no idea her could do that. Poor guy, now his secret is out!  We went to Clemson one day and saw an “adopted sister” and ate at Grouchos (a favorite SC sandwich place). We ate well, had great talks (challenging and encouraging) well into the night. How thankful am I for those who “are in the same boat” and are dedicated to each other, and ministry in such a great way! 
This week coming back has been crazy. Of course I added in an extra trip to Birmingham (after being home only a day) to see a friend I knew back in high school I hadn’t seen for 18 years! We met at a conference in high school and were close for several years until college happened.  Thanks to strange pregnancy dreams, I tracked her down a few years ago.  And thanks to Facebook, we keep in touch.  But how FUN to SEE her face to face after so many years! I also included visits with soul-friends and make that another great day!
Re-entering the “real world” this week meant lots of extras: teaching Sunday school, carnival at the elementary school, snacks for school, carpools, ballet and soccer games…and possibly a few more day trips for soccer games and new babies. But I’m glad that to have had break. And there are glimmers of hope in my functioning as my house is dirty and Keller had play dough in his hair an entire day before I washed it out. (See! I’m relaxing my OCDness! I’m growing!) Yep, I am thankful.

“For a happy heart is a grateful heart. I’m glad for all I have, that’s an easy way to start!”
-Veggie Tales (proof of long car rides and DVD watching for the kids)

Cookie of the week- Frosted shortbread cut-out cookies
(last week- M&M cookies)

No comments:

Post a Comment